Chinese immigration to Toronto dates at least to 1877, when two Chinese businesses are listed in the city directory. However, the community remained small for decades, finally reaching 2,500 people in the 1920s. Growth after that time remained slow due to restrictions specifically targeting Chinese immigrants (the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1923). The vast majority who did arrive were single males until a 1947 change in immigration law allowed immigrants to bring their family members. The Chinese Revolution of 1949 brought a significant change to Chinese-Canadians, both in terms of the situation it brought to family members in China, and in exacerbating political splits between immigrants.
Hung Chung She Po (The Chinese Times) was published in Toronto from 1929 to 1956. It was initially a weekly, and later became a daily publication. The sample available here, 1954 to 1956, gives an indication of the concerns of the Toronto community in this era.
Contributed by Simon Fraser University Library.